Friday 2 August 2013

Land of the midnight sun . . .


Paddle wheeler  SS Klondike on the banks of the Yukon River - Whitehorse, Yukon

We took a few days and flew up to Whitehorse, Yukon last week - a reunion of old friends and a birthday party - actually, any excuse for a get together and we're there!  We lived in Whitehorse many years ago and hadn't been back for over 25 years.  Changes - yes, of course, lots of them, but the spell of the Yukon is still there - as strong as ever!   For more information about Yukon - click here


It seems like I haven't been in my studio - but really, I have . . . here's some proof!


Louise's Golf-themed quilt - Japonica panto; glide thread

The fabric choices are just great - all sorts of golfing "stuff" - even the argyle!

Louise's golf quilt

Louise's Golf Quilt - close up

Louise's Golf Quilt - back - beautiful square piecing on the back (yeah!!)


Louise's golf Quilt - hangin' with Freeda!
.... and then there was Freda's (not to be confused with Freeda) quilt.  This is the first quilt Freda has made - and she went BIG!  It's very busy - so I quilted it with Freehand teardrops just to give it some texture; Superior So Fine thread; wool batting - I love working with wool batting!




Freda's Busy Blue - hangin' with Freeda

Freda's Blue Quilt - hanging with some great company at the studio!
..... and I can't forget Guidel's wild and crazy baby quilt - it's so bright and cheerful - what a great gift for an expected grandbaby!   Glide thread; Fil-tec Harmony in borders; Hobbs 80/20 batting; Fireside backing.



Guidel's Bright Baby Quilt - close up

Guidel's Bright Baby Quilt - Fireside backing (Raspberry) close up

..... hangin' with Freeda - backwards!
 
But wait - there's more!  Shaleen had these quilts hanging around her house, just waiting to be quilted!  Actually, the first one is a linen type picture that Shaleen has had since first buying her house decades ago!  I am really pleased how it turned out - clouds and rainbows!  Glide thread; freehand quilting; Hobbs 80/20 batting





Shaleen's second quilt is a scrappy triangle type quilt - again, another one she's had for a while as the quilt shop where she took the class to make this has been closed for probably 10 years!  It's quilted now, so Shaleen just has to bind it and it's good to go!  Shaleen did a perfect job of the piecing, by the way - a pleasure to quilt for her!



.....hangin' with Freeda
 
 
 
Just one more for this post . . . Cheryl put together a fabulous batik quilt for a wedding gift!  She used the Fireside backing - look how it quilts up so nicely!  This will be a cozy quilt to curl up under on those cold winter nights - (Gasp!  Did I use the W word!)
 
 




hangin' with Freeda - backwards

..... and forwards!

We are also busy at the store with making donations for Quilting for Calgary - a flood-relief effort by the quilting community!  The goal is to give each family whose homes were impacted by the flooding a quilt - that's just 3600 quilts in Calgary alone!  Addie's is hosting Sew Your Heart Out days every Saturday in August and into September.  I will be quilting as many as I can - so my Saturdays will be donated to this cause for the next few weeks!

Oh, I almost forgot - I had to check out the quilt shop in Whitehorse while I was there!  Picked up a few pieces of fabric that I just had to have (!).


hmmmm.....what to do, what to do!  If you find yourself in the Yukon, don't miss Bear's Paw Quilts - where they offer "compassionate care for the quilt addicted"~~ and last, but not least - here's their guard dog - be careful as you come down the stairs!




I promise not to leave this blog unattended for this long again - there are so many amazing quilts coming through my little studio - it's been great . . . and, I'm staying close to home for a while!

Excerpts from Robert Service's "Spell of the Yukon" . . .

There are hardships that nobody reckons;
   There are valleys unpeopled and still;
There’s a landoh, it beckons and beckons,
   And I want to go backand I will.
.......
 
It’s the great, big, broad land ’way up yonder,
   It’s the forests where silence has lease;
It’s the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
   It’s the stillness that fills me with peace.
 
 

No comments:

01 09 10